Friday, November 28, 2008

Baz is a Spaz


Can someone please back me up on this: Baz Luhrmann is a total spaz.

Recently in the news - which is mostly consumed with talk of the release of his overblown epic Australia - Luhrmann made claims that Barack Obama would have been "stolen" had he been born in Australia being that he is the offspring of mixed race parents. Well the fact is, Obama was not born in Australia. I think the plight of the indigenous in Australia is not at all comparable with what African Americans have endured. Perhaps the only similarity is that both the US and Australia have shamefully racist legacies when it comes to how "black" people have been treated. Does Luhrmann really care about the stolen generation? His film cost a trillion to make while a significant population of Aboriginals live in abject poverty in Australia. I mean really, his designer wife Catherine Martin flew all around the country sourcing the perfect bush tea cutlery set for the production design. I seriously doubt they were that concerned about righting Australia's wrongs in the process. Moral of the story: if you are after an attempt at quick publicity of the socially responsible kind, espouse shallow generalisations about "blackness" and race relations.

All The Artswipe has to say is this: If Luhrmann had been born in the US, surely someone would have "stolen" that closet from him and outed him by now. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep he's a cheap tosser.

Skanky Jane said...

I'm still learning from your previous two posts Arty, 'specially the last one...and so I'll back you up (well, truth be told, I would've anyway). The publicity for 'Australia' has just been making me look forward to your review...

xx SJ

Anonymous said...

The film sounds so bad I want to see it now.

Anonymous said...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkrvYnNpQm4

Grice

Anonymous said...

hell yeah.

mayhem said...

I'm not sure if I feel that happy about applying a slightly reclaimed but generally perjorative term for people with disabilities to a rich white closetted asshole pig.... the thing about the croc dundee cecil be demille film that shits me the most is the creepy bit about the weird aboriginal kid that get's 'adopted' by Heath and Nic... I mean - surely after the stolen gens/sorry saga someone apart from me would find it a bit insensitive - if not blatantly offensive? why not have nicole and heath's bastard spawn getting raised by a bunch of ngoongahs in the desert? huh?

Kaufan wow gold randy said...

Nice blog. I liked this blog.

JD Reforma said...

i love you